Just how bad is your breath? See for yourself if your breath is offensive!
How can I test my own breath?
Did you know that it is impossible to smell your own breath by cupping your hand up to your nose and smelling? All you are doing is smelling your hand.
Your body is designed in such a manner that it doesn’t allow you to detect your own odor by just breathing into your hand. It's a human process called Acclimation which is necessary so that you are able to smell other things besides yourself.
The best way to check is with a HALIMETER at your dentist office, if they are set up for breath testing - however there are a number of tests you can do at home that can indicate if you may have offensive breath- and they cost you nothing.
Here are a few effective ways to test your own breath at home:
1. The Cotton Test: Wipe the top surface of your tongue with a piece of cotton gauze and smell it. This is probably the most honest way. Also, if you notice a yellowish stain on the cotton, it's likely that you have an elevated sulfide production level.
2. The Lick Test: Lick the back of your hand. Let that dry for about 10 seconds and then smell. If you notice an odor, you may have a breath disorder because the sulfur salts from your tongue have been transferred to your hand.
3. The Dental Floss Test: Run a piece of dental floss between your back teeth (this is the mostly likely place where you may get food caught) and then smell the floss. This may be an indication of the level of odors others detect.
4. The Mirror Test: Stand in front of the mirror and stick your tongue out as far as possible. If you notice that the very back of your tongue is whitish, it may be a sign that you have bad breath.
5. The Observation Test: Judge the reaction of others when you interact with them. After using TheraBreath products, our patients tell us that they are no longer offered gum and mints and people no longer step away from them. It has significantly changed their confidence and improved their lives.
6. The Ask Test: Ask the opinion of someone you can trust (a good friend, a spouse, even your kids). Ask them to check your breath several times daily because breath changes throughout the day.
7. The Diet Test: If certain foods alter your taste, it is a good sign that sulfur compounds are being produced. This usually happens after using alcohol based mouthwashes, eating dairy foods, drinking alcoholic beverages, or after eating sugary products (Altoids, candy, Pepsi, etc.)
If any of the tests above prove positive (meaning you notice an offensive odor or taste) you may want to answer our clinical questionnaire, which will further assist you in your search for fresh breath and taste. This free breath test will take just a few minutes and is strictly confidential. Try our patent pending technology to get an instant online breath score, a detailed breath analysis and product recommendations specifically for your type of breath. Click here to try it now.
As we’ve said before, the most accurate way to test your breath is to be tested with a Halimeter. This is an instrument which measures the concentration of sulfide molecules in one's breath and saliva. The border line number for fresh breath vs. bad breath is about 75 ppb (parts per billion) according to Dr. Yaegaki who published the definitive article on these values. In our clinics, we have used these guidelines on thousands of patients. We have also demonstrated the use of this sensitive instrument on TV stations across the US, Europe, and Asia.
Dr. Katz has taken this sophisticated method of testing and years of firsthand experience and expertise to create his line of TheraBreath products. Each of his TheraBreath products are thoughtfully made with the best ingredients for the most effective cure for whatever oral issue you may have. Click here to shop our solutions to find the best products for your needs.
Do you have a friend with bad breath and don’t know how to tell them? No problem! Let us do it for you anonymously. Click here to send a virtual breath mint to your friend or coworker. All you need is his or her email address and they will be sent an email from us – don’t worry, we’ll break it to them gently and won’t tell them it came from you.