You probably never wonder how "healthy" your toothpaste is - it's advertised to safely clean your teeth, so why wouldn't it be? Unfortunately, there are toothpastes out there that are made with ingredients that could indeed harm your gums and teeth, rather than keep them clean and safe. Certain toothpastes can potentially cause oral sores, diseases and possibly even certain cancers.
"Certain ingredients can harm your gums and teeth."
To ensure you're only using the safest products, we've developed a guide of the ingredients your toothpaste tube should and shouldn't list. The next time you head to the store to pick up oral care items, be mindful of the following ingredients:
Ingredients your toothpaste shouldn't have
Avoiding these ingredients is critical to the overall wellbeing of your oral cavity:
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - This chemical is placed into toothpaste to create the foam that looks like it's cleaning your teeth. Unfortunately, its harshness is actually known to dry out the mouth and lead to canker sores. The damaged oral tissue gets used as a food source by bad breath bacteria, leading to bad breath.
2. Saccharin - Not only has saccharin has been linked to bladder cancer in rats, but it can also cause nausea, diarrhea, skin disorders and allergy-inducing symptoms in humans, according to research.
3. Alcohol - While alcohol found in mouthwash and toothpaste is commonly associated with eliminating bad breath, it's actually a drying agent that can make breath even worse. Additionally, that burning sensation you feel while using oral products isn't only killing bacteria - it's also damaging oral tissue and increasing your risk of suffering from oral sores and cancer.
Ingredients that make your toothpaste safe and more effective
While avoiding the ingredients listed earlier is critical, be sure to prioritize the following ingredients while shopping for your next tube of toothpaste:
1. Glycerin - A colorless and smell-free agent, glycerin, especially when derived from vegetable sources, is a safe ingredient to look for in toothpaste. It adds body and consistency to oral products, and also keeps them from drying out and becoming inefficient.
2. Xylitol - A natural sweetener extracted from fibrous plants, xylitol is found in nature's sustenance such as fruits, vegetables and trees. Not only does it give toothpaste its great taste without adding sugar, but it's also known to reduce plaque and prevent cavities from developing.
3. Citric Acid - Citric acid helps reduce the amount of tartar that builds up after plaque mineralizes on teeth.
TheraBreath toothpaste contains no alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate or saccharin, and do in fact contain glycerin, xylitol and citric acid. To ensure you're using the safest, most efficient toothpaste available, shop our oxygenating toothpastes that attack bad-breath causing bacteria and leave the mouth feeling clean and fresh.
*Free ground shipping available when your order's sub-total is $25 or more. Valid on least expensive ship method to the US and Canada. Please review your shipping options during checkout.
Free Shipping & Gift on orders over $25!* Click for details